Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Backyard Inspiration

So, I'm sitting at my desk right now, in my second floor office. Window open. Delightful spring breeze freshens the room. Late afternoon sunshine spills in. And then what to my wondering ears? The Vangelis theme from "Chariots of Fire" fills the yard...the neighborhood...at least several backyards near us. Suddenly, I feel inspired. I feel the urge to run in slow motion along the water on a sandy shore. But the bigger urge is to figure out where this large sound is coming from...and why??...and why only the first 8 measures or so?

That "Flying Scotsman," Eric Liddell, sure inspired us all, didn't he? Unless you were not born in 1981, or going to movies at the time. This film must be a cultural icon and I bet just reading this makes you hum the theme song, whether you saw the movie or not. I know I am humming. No, wait. It's not me. It's the actual song playing again through our backyard. I think I know where it is coming from. What a pleasant distraction, really. After all, the mystery neighborhood DJ could have selected a little something from Metallica! I wonder if they are taking requests.

Well, back to work. Gotta love living in an urban community.

2 comments:

Glen Peterson said...

Lovely. Oh, wait, I don't hear anything.

Mrs. Coral Kenagy said...

I knew I could count on you for a fun read!
Maybe I will get inspired too. Probably not, though. Today has been moving too slowly.

Oh, btw, what's wrong with Metallica might I ask??? I walked down the aisle to that! lol