Saturday, January 24, 2009

Liberal or Conservative Quiz

I just took a quiz online to see if I'm liberal or conservative on political issues. It was interesting. I tested "liberal." I am not surprised. I'm beginning to relax about the label. The label can cause negative reactions from people I call friends and loved ones. Hopefully, they've taken the time to hear my perspective and to understand it, even though we may not agree. To begin with, I determine my opinions by using my world view based in following Christ and what I know of him through Scripture and other wise followers. This is probably very similar to how conservatives form their opinions, interestingly enough. After starting there, I then reflect on my experience with real people in real situations and I study different social, economic, and political issues. I am conservative with Scripture. Liberal is not a bad thing to be.

Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999
lib·er·al (adj)
  1. tolerant of different views and standards of behavior in others
  2. favoring gradual reform, especially political reforms that extend democracy, distribute wealth more evenly, and protect the personal freedom of the individual
  3. generous with money, time, or some other asset
  4. not limited to the literal meaning in translation or interpretation
  5. concerned with general cultural matters and broadening of the mind rather than professional or technical study
  6. relating to a political ideology of liberalism

1 comment:

Mrs. Coral Kenagy said...

See, it happened again. I'm described in some of the definition of "liberal" but not all. Just as I'm sure I'm defined by parts of the "conservative" definition. This is somewhat frustrating... why? Because I spend so much time seeing both or all sides of a situation and its validity and am not always swayed to concrete action.
Does this make me a bad person or weak in any sense?