Friday, June 01, 2007

Backyard Inspiration


I love our backyard. It is a mini-park in my urban world. It is a place of solitude and refuge or a gathering place for enjoying good friends and good food. Big trees surround it, a premium in some neighborhoods of Southern California. One tree is an avocado, and two others are orange trees. Delightful and a privilege to have those trees thriving.

I've decided to work on some landscaping. I'm designing a plan in my mind. I will consult my husband, who has a great head for solutions and practical steps, and he is very handy with many home projects. I will consider the two large dogs who have been known to eat a plant or two from time to time. I may even talk with a landscape design professional. I have a couple worthy recommendations. We need to paint the exterior of the house first.

I'm most excited about creating a fountain. I've been collecting ideas from various local fountains I like. I look forward to the beauty of the design, the soothing sound of falling water, and the possibility of cooling my feet on a hot day. I don't want a pool nor a jacuzzi -- just a beautiful fountain crafted from natural materials and perhaps some artsy tile. I want it to visually connect with the rest of the yard and the arts and crafts style of our 1915 home. Of course, I want to stay within our budget. I also want to enjoy the view of it from our den windows.

So, I'm sketching and taking photos, and pacing it out, and researching the project. That in itself has been rewarding. The processes of learning, growing, and creating something of beauty to share with others is a feast for my soul. I need an outlet like this project to get my mind off other clutter in the daily grind that I have no control over. I just ordered some books to study to further fine tune my ideas before I seek some construction bids. It's fun! When someone asks, like on the Actor's Studio, "What else would you like to try [as a career]?" I'd answer landscape architect or designer.

[Photo: Palm trees at shopping center near my home]

1 comment:

Glen said...

I am not sure the date palms would be such a good idea for the yard.