Saturday, December 06, 2008

Favorite Flavors

I love Christmas time for many reasons. Simple, playful, and deeply meaningful reasons and everything in-between. I have two favorite flavors that dominate this season. Peppermint and eggnog -- not together, however. Peppermint ice cream, Starbuck's Peppermint Mocha holiday beverage, peppermint tea, peppermint milkshakes (introduced to me by my mother-in-law), peppermint bark -- it's all good. In moderation, of course. And then eggnog. Eggnog ice cream, Starbuck's Eggnog Latte holiday beverage, and a frothy cup of good old eggnog. I think I'll make eggnog milkshakes this year for something new to me. Growing up, my family would sit quietly at the end of the day on Christmas Eve, near the lovely decorated tree, still empty beneath, and sip a traditional cup of eggnog from little demitasse cups used only for this occasion, while we paused to be still at the apex of Christmas excitement for children. I remember that with fondness. Oh, and by the way, my eggnog enjoyment does not involve brandy or rum, just the creamy, thick, richness of the glug-glugging eggnog plain.

No comments: