Sunday, August 31, 2008

Perceptional Fog

per·cep·tion: the process of using the senses to acquire information about the surrounding environment or situation.
fog: a state of confusion or lack of clarity
[Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.]

Yesterday, I watched the weather news on Hurricane Gustav which was headed for New Orleans. At that moment, the storm is 305 miles away from Louisiana landfall. It has winds currently of 115 miles per hour with gusts up to 140mph. Mandatory evacuations were underway and seemed impressively organized. It is just hard to perceive what that must have been like. What would I take if asked to evacuate? Where would I go? How would I feel? And why do some folks stay behind?

Then there are the recent and current political party conventions and campaigns. These are politicians. They live on persuasive speech technique, among other things. It is also hard to perceive who is speaking truthfully, speaking accurately. Tonight Fred Thompson, at the Republican Convention, quoted a piece of something Obama said, but Thompson linked it to the wrong part of the issue. I know this because I actually heard the full context when Obama spoke the words in a prior interview. This evening, Thompson spoke it out of context and it was misleading and wrong, yet everyone in the room cheered wildly. It makes me question everything said about someone by the other party...either party. So perceptions are challenging. I'm in a bit of a fog processing reality through my perceptions in understanding the impact of a hurricane on human life and in understanding the good, the bad, and the ugly of candidates.

No comments: