- Belief in human dignity for all people created in God's image.
- Curiosity about the value of political boundaries, and the concept of "illegal" in this context.
- Acceptance that resources to care for all people are limited under the current structures (health care, education, housing, etc.)
- People who truely behave badly, such as truely guilty felons, need to return to their country of origin.
- Myths surrounding immigrants carry too much power and inaccurate information.
- Inconsistencies in who is welcome, who is not, and who we choose to go "help" in the world.
- Anytime a people group is targeted as a problem, that is a dangerous sign.
- What about welfare abuse by American citizens?
Tuesday, March 04, 2008
Hot topic these days. My friend from college just asked me what I thought about illegal immigration, since I live in California and that state seems to be more impacted than upstate New York, where my friend lives. I struggled to answer. That is just it. I have no answer -- no solution. I do have some basic beliefs that include: